Getting Ready for Baby No. 2
I made it to 36 weeks last Friday, and since then it feels like time is flying at lightening speed! I’m off work now, but I still don’t know where the time goes, and I feel like my to-do list is never ending. It’s probably a good thing that I’m keeping busy instead of going crazy!
We had Ben at 37 weeks, so I have this expectation that she will come early, too. I know every baby is different, but I can’t help but compare everything to my first pregnancy! I’ve been having so many contractions and been so uncomfortable, so I’m guessing it might be soon! But, as my doctor says, babies like to make liars out of us 😉 I’ve put together a list below of what I’m currently doing to prep for the little one as I wait impatiently.
Here’s what’s on my to-do list:
- Washing EVERYTHING! I realized that I should get my butt in gear and wash what we will need when this baby girl arrives. That includes burp cloths, towels, washcloths, blankets, bedding, and a TON of clothes. I was able to get it done in 3 loads, and folded with the help of my hubby.
- Making sure I’m prepped for baby. Luckily I have so much from my first pregnancy, so I went through and pulled out all of my nursing tops, bras, and pajamas. It varies by mama, but I recommend visualizing yourself at home with the baby, and you’ll realize pretty quickly what you need. We spend so much time thinking about the baby, but moms need things too! Luckily there is Amazon Prime (& the hubby) for anything I forget! Depending on the mama, there’s creams and gels and all sorts of stuff you’ll need!
- Packing the Hospital Bag. I’m hoping to do a post on this soon, because that hospital bag can be such a challenge! I think most moms tend to overpack it with things they don’t even use (I know I did my first time). This time I just made a list for myself and kept it to a minimum. The bag is packed and I hope to share with you soon what I think should be in it.
- Prepping Meals. I’m not too worried about what we’ll eat after the baby arrives- we have such amazing families that will do anything to help us out. They both live in town so they have always been a huge support. I have started planning and making dinners that are freezable. Since it’s just the three of us right now, I can make a regular batch of something and freeze half. The other night I split a lasagna in half, and I’ve got turkey chili and enchiladas on the menu next. Making the full recipe (or extra) doesn’t take much effort, and I know I’ll thank myself in a few weeks.
- Cleaning and Organizing. Now I know this might sound silly and obviously isn’t really high on the priority list, but for me it’s important. I want a clean space to bring the baby home to, and I don’t want to have to focus on anything else besides the baby. I’ve been trying to keep up with picking up after Ben, but that’s never ending!
Of course, in the midst of this to-do list, I’m trying to slow down time and appreciate my little boy. He’s my first, my baby, and will always have a special place in my heart. He’s the one who made me a mother and I’ve changed so much because of him. I don’t know how I’ll love another child as much as I do him, but everyone says it’s always like that. So for now our family of 3 is waiting for baby girl!